The workshop on "Bridge Design to Eurocodes" with worked examples was held on October 4-6, 2010 in the Austrian Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology in Vienna. This workshop was the first training event organised at European level for the design of bridges using the Eurocodes.
The workshop was organised by Joint Research Centre, CEN/TC210 Horizontal Group Bridges and the Austrian Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology and supported by the European Commission DG Enterprise and Industry, CEN/TC250, CEN Management Centre, the Member States and the Austrian Standards Institute.
Opening addresses were delivered by Peter Franzmayr, Austrian Deputy Minister for Transport, Innovation and Technology, Manfred Fuchs, European Commission DG Enterprise, Jean-Armand Calgaro, CEN/TC 250 Chairman and Artur Pinto, Joint Research Center.
This workshop with emphasis on worked examples contributed towards transfer of background knowledge and expertise of Eurocode Bridge Parts writers (CEN/TC250 Horizontal Group Bridges) to potential trainers at national level and Eurocode users.
The principal objectives of the workshop are to:
- transfer knowledge and information to representatives of key organisations/institutions, industry and technical associations in Member States;
- provide state-of-the-art training material, background information and worked examples to Eurocodes trainers and users;
- facilitate exchange of views, networking and cooperation.
Approximately 150 national delegates and lecturers that were representatives of national authorities, national standardisation bodies, industry, professional associations, research institutions and universities registered for the workshop. The participants were delegates from 20 EU Member States, one EU Candidate Country (Turkey) and two EFTA Member States (Iceland and Norway), as well as from Guatemala, South Korea and Malaysia.
Monday, 4 October 2010
- The present and future of the EurocodesThe present and future of the Eurocodes
- Eurocodes: Implementation and further developmentEurocodes: Implementation and further development
- Introduction to the workshopIntroduction to the workshop
- Introduction to the design exampleIntroduction to the design example
- Basis of Design (EN 1990)Basis of Design (EN 1990)
- Actions on bridges (EN 1991)Actions on bridges (EN 1991)
Tuesday, 5 October 2010
- Structural modeling and analysisStructural modeling and analysis
- Concrete bridge design (EN 1992)Concrete bridge design (EN 1992)
- Steel bridge design (EN 1993)Steel bridge design (EN 1993)
- Composite bridge design (EN 1994)Composite bridge design (EN 1994)
- Austrian experienceAustrian experience
Austrian experience of using Eurocodes for bridge design � challenges and opportunities
- Eurocodes � National Implementation E. Eichinger-Vill, Austrian Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology (BMVIT)
- Railway bridge Brunngraben T. Petraschek, OBB Austrian Railways, Engineering Services
- Austrian experience using Eurocode 2, Concrete bridge design M. Vill, OBB Austrian Railways, Engineering Services
Tuesday, 5 October 2010
- Geotechnical aspects of bridge design (EN 1997)Geotechnical aspects of bridge design (EN 1997)
- Overveiw of seismic issue for bridge design (EN 1998)Overveiw of seismic issue for bridge design (EN 1998)
This JRC reports presents in detail the design of a bridge structure following the Eurocodes. It summarizes important points of the Eurocodes for the design of concrete, steel and composite road bridges, including foundations and seismic design, utilizing a common bridge structure as a basis. The bridge design worked example was presented at the workshop "Bridge Design to the Eurocodes", held on 4-6 October 2010 in Vienna, Austria. The workshop was organized by JRC with the support of DG ENTR and in collaboration with CEN/TC250/Horizontal Group Bridges, the Austrian Federal Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology and the Austrian Standards Institute.