The Enhanced Regional EU-ASEAN Dialogue Instrument (E-READI), funded by the EU, is a development cooperation programme that facilitates dialogue forums between the EU and ASEAN in priority policy areas of joint interest across all three ASEAN Community pillars (Political and Security, Economic and Socio-Cultural).
As part of the EU-ASEAN Cooperation for Regional Integration, the E-READI supported EU-ASEAN dialogue on Eurocodes has been established through a multi-annual concept note with the ASEAN Buildings and Construction Working Group (BCWG), ASEAN Secretariat and the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre (JRC). The Eurocodes dialogue aims to bring a coherent approach to the adoption of the design standards for the construction sector across the ASEAN member states, through a regional approach. ASEAN member states are currently being at various stages of awareness on the Eurocodes concepts and/or their adoption at national level.
On 5-6 July 2022 a Eurocodes workshop is organised dedicated to relevant authorities in Brunei Darussalam. The primary objective of this workshop is to respond to the training and capacity needs of Brunei Darussalam towards increasing awareness of the benefits of using Eurocodes, its impact to the future of construction sector and implications of climate change, as well as facilitate their implementation as national design codes.
The workshop will outline the needs and the availability of necessarytechnical assistance insupportofthe Eurocodes adoption and introduction into the national regulatory environment of Brunei Darussalam. European and ASEAN experts willshare knowledge with representatives from competent organisations in Brunei Darussalam on technical methods and techniques underpinning policy implementation in the construction sector. The event will provide an opportunity to build on the experience, initiatives and difficulties concerning the adoption of standards and policies for the construction sector in Europe.
- European standard
- Online only
- Online only
- Enhanced Regional EU-ASEAN Dialogue Instrument (E-READI)
The workshop is anticipated as two half-days virtual event with the following objectives:
- Present the concept of the Eurocodes as a standardisation framework (targeting mainly national authorities) and also as advanced technical design codes (targeting engineers/practitioners);
- Present information on the second generation of the Eurocodes and their links to the European Green Deal;
- Facilitate exchange of views, knowledge and information between the EU and ASEAN stakeholders on Eurocodes and their benefits;
- Building capacities for the elaboration of National Annexes for selected parts of the Eurocodes according to the expressed interest in Brunei Darussalam and regional aspects of collaboration in their elaboration;
- Present the process and support available for countries willing to adopt the Eurocodes.