Workshop with worked examples
13-14 June 2013, Dublin
VENUE: Trinity College Dublin, College Green, Dublin 2, Ireland
JRC Report: Eurocode 7: Geotechnical Design - Worked examples
This document is a report with worked examples summarizing the general rules, basic design principles and design methods for geotechnical design following Eurocodes. It comprises an overview of Eurocode 7 with focus on the design requirements, actions and design situations, and limit states. Different aspects to be considered for designing shallow foundations, gravity walls, embedded walls and deep foundations are covered in the report. The provisions of Eurocode 7 for ground investigations and testing for geotechnical design, overall stability of and movements in the ground, slopes, hydraulic failure modes and verifications against them are also presented. The Annex contains worked examples to accompany the various chapters of this report.
The materials were prepared and presented at the workshop "Eurocode 7: Geotechnical Design" held on 13-14 June 2013 in Dublin, Ireland. The workshop was organized by JRC with the support of DG ENTR and CEN, and in collaboration with CEN/TC250/Sub-Committee 7 and Ireland's Department of the Environment, Community and Local government.
This workshop (Level 2/3) with emphasis on worked examples intends to contribute towards the transfer of background knowledge and expertise of Eurocode 7 writers (CEN/TC250 Sub Committee 7) to potential trainers at national level and Eurocode users.
The principal objectives of the workshop are to:
- transfer knowledge and information to representatives of key organisations/institutions, industry and technical associations in Member States;
- provide state-of-the-art training material, background information and worked examples to Eurocodes trainers and users;
- facilitate exchange of views, networking and cooperation.
The workshop is organised and supported by the European Commission, DG Enterprise and Industry and Joint Research Centre, CEN/TC250, CEN Management Centre and Ireland's Department of the Enviroment, Community and Local Government.
For more information on the workshop download the workshop flyer.
The workshop will commence in the morning of June 13 and conclude in the afternoon of June 14. The workshop will include parallel presentation of the Eurocode 7 general rules, basic design principles and design methods, and relevant worked examples. The workshop sessions will address:
- the design of shallow foundations, gravity walls, embedded walls, and deep foundations;
- the ground investigation and testing process;
- the slope stability and hydraulic failure.
Download the workshop agenda.
Thursday, 13 June 2013
- Welcome Address (42KB)
J.Wickham - Ireland's Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government
- Welcome Address (2.4MB)
A.V. Pinto - JRC, European Commission
- Welcome Address (144KB)
A.Bond - Chairman TC250/SC7
- Basis of design: EN 1990 and EN 1997-1: General rules (2.4MB)
- Worked example: combinations of actions (236KB)
- Worksheet: combinations of actions (84KB)
- Shallow foundations: design of spread foundations (1.8MB)
- Worked example: strip foundation (2.1MB)
- Worksheet: strip foundation (0.3MB)
- Retaining structures I: design of gravity walls (847KB)
- Worked example: T-shaped gravity wall (165KB)
- Worksheet: T-shaped wall (DA1) (91KB)
- Worksheet: T-shaped wall (DA2*) (89KB)
Friday, 14 June 2013
- Ground investigation and testing: EN 1997-2 (1.1MB)
- Worked example: characteristic values (340KB)
- Worksheet 1: description (192KB)
- Worksheet 2: description (1.1MB)
- Slope stability: design of slopes and embankments. (315KB)
- Hydraulic failure (433KB)
- Worked examples: HYD and UPL limit states (329KB)
- Retaining structures II: design of embedded walls (1.8MB)
- Worked example: anchored sheet pile wall (198KB)
- Worksheet: Anchored sheet pile wall (DA1) (81KB)
- Worksheet: Anchored sheet pile wall (DA2*) (4.0MB)
- Deep foundations: design of pile foundations (451KB)
- Worked example: design of pile foundations (229KB)
- Worksheet: Pile foundation (4.0MB)
Contact usEurocodes - Geotechnical Design Workshop Secretariat
Joint Research Centre (JRC)
TP 480, Via E. Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
Tel.: +39 0332 786062, +39 0332 786350, Fax: +39 0332 789049